Breitenbush Hot Springs is one of Oregon’s oldest worker owned cooperatives. Located 1.5 hours east of Salem, Breitenbush is nestled in a quiet valley that happens to be one of the most geothermally active areas on the west coast. Academics estimate that our piece of land has been continuously inhabited by humans for thousands of years.
Breitenbush is not normal. We are both a business and an intentional community. Our 70+ staff and 35,000 guest per year draw on a deep sense of purpose and collective ownership, not conventional measures of wealth. We are looking for a bookkeeping maven who feels the same way. If you’ve ever wanted to live in the forest, in community, and have bookkeeping chops, let’s talk!
Important Note on Compensation:
Let’s cut to one of the most unusual parts of Breitenbush: almost everybody at Breitenbush makes the same amount of money. Currently that’s $9.75 per hour, Oregon minimum wage. That will go up to $10.25 per hour on July 1, 2017. For the sake of transparency, it should be noted that there are a couple of exceptions to this rule. For example, the three managing directors (Business Director, Marketing Director, and Finance Director) make $14.79 per hour. However, for the right candidate, our compensation package is very rich.
Though it is hard to measure, many of us that live and work here relate to the total compensation package as feeling closer to $20/hour. Click here to view the list of benefits: Bookkeeping Position Advertisment.
Specifics About the Bookkeeping Role:
The Bookkeeper role at Breitenbush is a full cycle bookkeeper position. The positionworks directly with Breitenbush’s Finance Director. The core of the role revolves around the following list of tasks:
- Process Payroll for 70 – 130 employees every two weeks, including sending in payroll tax payments and any necessary garnishments in a timely manner.
- Process Accounts Payable invoices
- Be familiar with the budget for the year and question un-budgeted purchases
- Be familiar with 1099 processing requirements, ensuring A/P vendors are
correctly reported and the data file is clean and correct for year-end reporting
- Post Journal Entries for daily revenues
- Prepare cash advances and process expense reports weekly
- Recover funds lost due to Non-sufficient fund payments from guests
- Interact with both the Office Team and all Team Coordinators to ensure systems are working smoothly and communications are sufficient and clear
- Prepare journal entries
- Record HAT license, insurance, and CEU’s payments
- Record clothing allowance payments
- Cash count at end of each month
- Calculate and pay store consignments at end of each month
- Event closeouts processing
- Print new meal sheets every two weeks
- Quarterly store inventory
- Setting up direct deposit for staff
- Creating membership loan accounts for staff
- Calculating/paying parting gifts and housing deposit refunds
- Maintaining staff vacation/sick leave benefits
- Renew vehicle registrations online/get stickers to Maintenance
- Journal entries for staff postage purchases
- Stop payments on missing/lost checks
- Other tasks as needed
Qualified candidates will ideally have previous bookkeeping experience, strong general computer knowledge, and a familiarity with accounting principals. Applicant would also be proficient in Excel, detail oriented, self-motivated and have the ability to work independently. Good communication skills are a must.
To read more about Breitenbush and full details of this position please click here:
Bookkeeping Position Advertisment.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, visit the Breitenbush Hot Springs website and fill out our online application: