The Director of Operations supports the mission and vision of Esalen Institute through their leadership of managers and teams, totaling approximately 45 staff members. This position is a key contributor to the leadership team of directors and reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer.
• Member of senior leadership team of directors and responsible for strategic planning, operational effectiveness, fiscal responsibility and creating a conscious organization with a mission focus.
• Engage with all levels of staff to ensure the values, vision, and mission of Esalen; as well as a vibrant staff community culture of trust, respect and communication are upheld.
• Lead and inspire a strong operations management team that is responsible for the smooth running operation of the following Esalen departments and areas of responsibility:
Facilities & Maintenance, Property Development, Grounds & Landscaping, Farm & Garden, Food Services and Workshop/Event Delivery.
• Ensure fiscal discipline, budgetary control and financial integrity of all functions and projects under his or her areas of responsibility.
• Responsible for providing leadership and supporting an effective learning and feedback environment including setting clear expectations; on-going performance feedback, team and individual goal setting and tracking, accountability and individual development plans.
• Maintain a high level of operational integrity, accountability and transparency in all the activities under his or her responsibilities.
• In partnership with the Director’s Team, accountable for contributing to a seamless and creative interface between facilities and the efforts of all other departments at Esalen.
• Contribute to the strategic management process, which guides the development and implementation of the Esalen vision, mission, goals and strategies.
• Collaborate with C.E.O. and support department managers to set department goals to empower them as necessary to consistently achieve goals.
• Partner with the Property Development Manager to provide effective oversight and support to the Long Term Property Development Team and its oversight of design, permitting, budgeting and bidding of all long term development projects.
• Working closely with the Director of Programs to ensure the creation and implementation of processes and systems to effectively execute the delivery of programs and other event production activities and consequently providing a high quality guest experience to faculty and attendees.
• Routine facility projects and preventative maintenance on the property including implementation of an innovative on-going facilities sustainability plan.
• Review departments budget performance and projections.
• Cost management and administration oversight for all purchasing including proper authorization and documentation of all expenses.
• Working with the Human Resources, coordinating organizational efforts to ensure compliance with Injury and Illness Prevention and Emergency Procedure programs.
• Oversee department managers in maintaining updated procedural and training materials.
• Actively support department managers and Human Resources with recruiting efforts.
• Maintain compliance with all county, state, and federal regulations.
• Approach all work and projects with the element of sustainability in mind.
• Seasoned professional (8 or more years) leading, inspiring and motivating teams to reach their highest potential.
• 5 or more years in hospitality management or in an organization of similar size and scope of job responsibilities.
• Ability to plan, set priorities, organize, delegate and follow-through to completion on all areas of responsibility in a timely manner.
• 5 or more years of Program/Workshop or conference type of event delivery experience preferred.
• Ability to create a service orientated culture
• Work requires communications, analytical and organizational skills generally acquired through completion of a bachelor’s degree program.
• Demonstrated ability to manage and lead others.
• Two or more years experience planning and overseeing construction and development projects with a strong emphasis on cost management.
• Experience planning and producing events or conferences preferred.
• Able to multi-task and be extremely detail oriented.
• Excellent computer skills, including experience working with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and Project & Labor management software.
• Enjoy working with people; be friendly, helpful and patient.
• Ability to stay calm in difficult situations.
• Appreciation and understanding of Esalen’ mission, vision and values.
Compensation and Benefits
The pay for this position is commensurate with experience. This position includes a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and paid time off. Esalen provides staff with access to an extensive range of educational and community benefits, including movement classes, ongoing in-house programs, and discounts and scholarship for workshops, bodywork, and other Esalen services.
Established in 1962, Esalen is a leading center for exploring and realizing human potential through experience, education, and research. We work toward the realization of a more humane and all-embracing world, seeking answers to questions unlikely to be explored by traditional universities and religions. We sponsor pioneering initiatives and offer personal, spiritual, and social transformation programs for residents, interns, and workshop participants. To learn more about our history, browse our program and workshop offerings, or download the current catalog, please visit our web site at www.esalen.org.
Please send your resume, cover letter, references and any salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline: open until filled
Esalen Institute is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.