Announcement from Pahoa, Big Island, Hawaii
After more than 36 years of service, Kalani’s Co-Founder and Executive Director is retiring. Kalani, a 501(c)(3) non-profit retreat center and intentional community, is seeking a dynamic and experienced professional to serve as its full-time Executive Director.
Kalani is Hawaii’s largest retreat center, and a leading non-governmental provider of recreational and cultural services. Serving Puna, the poorest but fastest growing district in Hawaii, Kalani also provides substantial services to thousands of visitors annually. The Executive Director is a vibrant community leader capable of directing the activities of the retreat center and its affiliate properties, while guiding Kalani’s strategic planning process for sustainability and 30-year growth plan. Kalani’s goal, represented in Hawaiian culture by the ‘Io (hawk) and Honu (turtle), is to move forward with peace and compassion, while having a clear overview of what is necessary to prosper.
The ideal candidate will have passion for Kalani’s mission and be a compassionate visionary with at least ten years of management experience, including executive-level experience in some or all of the following areas: non-profit administration, hospitality, fundraising, community living and development, financial oversight of $3-plus million operating budget, strategic planning, and nature, culture and wellness education. Native Hawaiian cultural knowledge is especially helpful.
The Executive Director must embrace diversity of life in his or her own deepest way to lead and inspire a vibrant, growing community of 300 volunteers, staff, visiting artists, healers, educators and guests from all over the world.
- Direct the activities of 100-plus resident staff and volunteers;
- Maximize guest participant occupancy for educational workshops;
- Support program planning, evaluation, and evolving operational needs;
- Assure regulatory compliance in all aspects of operations and reporting;
- Champion fundraising and advise on development of charitable programs;
- Represent Kalani in external communications, and foster community support;
- Steward the nonprofit mission of providing a fun, safe, and educational retreat village;
- Ensure transparency and good governance of the retreat village and its affiliate properties;
- Improve areas cited by the Board, guests, management, community and governing authorities;
- Provide fiscal responsibility for revenue and expenses, including a positive annual balance sheet;and
- Increase quality of products and services provided, including guest rooms, food and guest services.
- Analytical thinking and strong aptitude for long-term strategic planning;
- Ability to quickly adjust to new work requirements, directions, and personnel;
- Confidence to entrust and empower others to take responsibility and demonstrate creativity;
- Energy to originate new ideas and initiate action based on researched facts and past experience;
- Leadership by example, with a compassionate approach to relationships, and a visible aloha spirit; and
- Sound judgment and integrity, maintaining high standards of professional ethics and confidentiality.
Terms of Employment
The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors, and is preferred to maintain a primary residence within Kalani’s 120-acre community throughout his or her tenure. Evening and weekend attendance at various internal and external community events is also required from time to time.
This is a full-time position with meals, lodging and health insurance provided. Competitive vacation, sick and leave benefits are also included.
Kalani provides many opportunities to have a personal practice that supports integrity, flexibility, compassion, mindfulness, and other qualities that are applicable to effective organizational direction.
How to Apply
Email a cover letter, salary requirements, and resume, including three references, to firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than June 15, 2012. Please use the subject line: Executive Director Application.
We regret that we cannot respond to all applicants. Selected candidates will be contacted for an interview.